So which cutter do you have and do you use it?

Discuss things about your electronic cutter Robo/Cricut/Silhouette and swap hints and tips. Links to files anything that is useful.
Carolyn
The Boss

So which cutter do you have and do you use it?

Post by Carolyn » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:20 pm

Do you have an electronic cutter, and do you use it?

I have the Craft Robo and have to say I like to use it, but its limitations are the thickness of cut - no idea if they are better on the new ones. I often just put in one colour of card and then change the colour by inking with distress inks or chalk pads. With the thousands of choices now on the silhouette site at 99c - it really is very versatile. I bought a silhouette of the Boston skyline and made it into a card for DHs birthday - dead simple but was very topical at the time. Will have to take a picture.

I have lost track - what are the choices that are out there?

Kath

Re: So which cutter do you have and do you use it?

Post by Kath » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:22 am

I bought my craft robo from Hazel and I love it.

LizG

Post by LizG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:58 am

The Craft Robo was replaced by the Silhouette which was essentially the same machine with a different badge. The Robo has an optical eye for print and cut whereas the Robo Lite version did not have that. The Robo was replaced by the Cameo in November and amongst other things takes 12x12 paper and will also cut thicker material. It also has a change of blade style which utilises a ratchet rather than having to change cap colours like with the Robo. There has been a lot of problems with this blade in that some people find it clogs with little pieces of paper and in trying to get them out, which is apparently not easy, are damaging the blades. Graphtec (who are the distributors in this country) are being very good at replacing them and in trying to help people use the new blades in the right way. You can no longer buy the old Robo blades as they are not made; the new Cameo ones fit the Robo too.

The new Silhouette Studio software (free download) that replaced the old Robomaster is much easier to use and even I have been creating some files from scratch. I want to learn how to do more complicated ones than tracing images and simple shaped cards like Carolyn has put on the site for me.

Kath

Post by Kath » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:05 am

It is all very complicated, I think. I would like to be able to make my own files though if I can learn how to do it.

JJ

Post by JJ » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:12 am

I still use my Robo but mainly for print and cut. I bought a blade from ebay as a test. I have to say, so far, it has been very good. I have only had it a couple of weeks but it has cut thicker card than I have ever been able to before. it was
Janet xxxxx

"""***********************************"""
As you slide down the banister of life may the splinters never face the wrong way.

craftdancer

Post by craftdancer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:37 am

I have a Pazzles which I bought from a forum member some years ago. Unfortunately that was in 2007 and we were flooded (still not sorted out). That unfortunately was the start of a very long series of long term family and work situations which, although settled a bit now, are not fully resolved.

I have, therefore, had very little time to play with this machine and because it is so long between my chances to do anything I have to start almost from scratch every time.

It is on my list of things to do (but a long way down) when I become one of the millions of unemployed in April.

Linda

sheilagh

Post by sheilagh » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:40 pm

I have the Robo Lite which I love although it has its limitations. I bought replacement blades from The States and make my own carrier sheets. I have also had a subscription for the last 2 years to the online Silhouette store so have hundreds of designs. I use them as they are or cobble together elements from different ones. My subscription expired yesterday so I think I will buy designs as I see them.
Two years ago I did a days course at Graphtec head office in Wrexham and bought my machine from them.
I like the idea of the Cameo as it has more functions and it quieter and can cut thicker card. When I rang up last week a very nice French girl told me that if I went there she would give me a demonstration of it. She also suggested I bring with me samples of the card I normally use si I will try and arrange something in the next couple of weeks.

I also have a Cricut Create but don't use it that much, having got rid of some cartridges recently for silly money.

Carolyn
The Boss

Post by Carolyn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:57 pm

there is the making memories slice as well.....

Carolyn
The Boss

Post by Carolyn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:04 pm

LizG wrote:You can no longer buy the old Robo blades as they are not made; the new Cameo ones fit the Robo too.
I didn't know that - but if the new one fits that is OK. I don't have any spare :(

Carolyn
The Boss

Post by Carolyn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:07 pm

[quote="JJ"]I still use my Robo but mainly for print and cut. I bought a blade from ebay as a test. I have to say, so far, it has been very good. I have only had it a couple of weeks but it has cut thicker card than I have ever been able to before. it was

LizG

Post by LizG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:10 pm

On the UKS forum (which I joined as it is THE forum for Craft Robo info and free files) there has been long discussions about the new blades. A lot of people have had troubles with it clogging up.

JJ

Post by JJ » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:28 pm

ooh I am interested in this - so the blade will cut thicker card even on the old machine
My machine is the old grey one and I have found that as long as the card isn't too "fibrous" then it will cut 200gsm.
Janet xxxxx

As you slide down the banister of life may the splinters never face the wrong way.

LizG

Post by LizG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:44 pm

I have cut 220 gsm, again, not a very fibrous one. I have a 330 model Robo

Carolyn
The Boss

Post by Carolyn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:59 pm

JJ wrote:
ooh I am interested in this - so the blade will cut thicker card even on the old machine
My machine is the old grey one and I have found that as long as the card isn't too "fibrous" then it will cut 200gsm.

so I can get one from ebay?

JJ

Post by JJ » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:49 pm

280804514450 The Decal Box (shop name) thedecaldude (username)

If you copy and paste the item number into the search bar on ebay it brings it up
Janet xxxxx